727 Harvard Ave, Swarthmore, PA 19081
A few youth are ordained as deacons to serve in ministries of caring, listening, and extending the communion table, especially to the elderly, sick, grieving and those unable to be present at church in person.
Many youth choose to serve on one of SPC’s many Session Committees. These committees are chaired by church session members (ruling elders) and are essential to the ministry of the church as a whole. Committees on which SPC youth serve or have recently served include:
- Children’s Ministry: Education and ministry with children (5th grade and below) of the congregation.
- Membership: The recruitment, development, and support of members, particularly new members.
- Parish Life: The ministry of hospitality, welcome, and sustenance (food) within the congregation.
- Worship & Music: supporting, planning and developing (in partnership with the pastors) Sunday worship services and the music we hear there.
Teachers & Nursery Care:
Sunday School teaching is an opportunity for youth to engage in a ministry of education and care with our younger members and friends of the church. Youth serve as shepherds and teachers of various age groups, from the nursery through the 5th grade.
At least 2 high schoolers from each grade serve on the Youth Committee to make big picture decisions about the youth program. The biggest task of this committee is hiring the summer intern.
There are also many other committees and groups that are not chaired by Session members but engage in the ongoing ministry and mission of the congregation of Swarthmore Presbyterian that need youth involvement. These include:
- Fall Fair: The Fall Fair is a yearly celebration of the life of SPC. This fundraiser draws many youth to staff Fair booths, volunteer their time and participate in other fun activities.
- Hunger Group: This group works to alleviate hunger in our area and throughout the world.
- Alternative Christmas Shop: This group chooses the chaaritable organizations that we ask members and friends to support through our Alternative Christmas Shop each Advent season. They also manage all aspects of the shop experience for 4 Sundays in Advent.
Youth lead and assist behind the scenes in worship at SPC in so many ways that there is a whole separate webpage on the possibilities: Worship Ministries
Service to the Larger Church:
One of the goals of the youth ministry program at SPC is that every active high schooler have (at least) one leadership position in the ministry of the congregation or larger church. It is also a goal that as many middle schoolers as possible have the same. This is important because youth are not simply the future of the church. They are the church – the church universal and Swarthmore Presbyterian Church – right now, with gifts from the Spirit and calls from Christ to serve. Furthermore, through leadership, youth claim their own faith and make time for church activities in their overly busy lives. If a youth is interested in ANY of these, please be in touch with John Weicher. Here are some of the ways that this leadership happens: