We worship as a gathered community of faith on Sunday mornings. Our Order of Worship follows the Reformed tradition, where Word and Sacrament are central. The New Revised Standard Version of the Bible is used for all Scripture references. Sermons are bible-based, usually following the New Revised Common Lectionary. The 2013 Presbyterian hymnal, Glory to God is used in all services. The Sacrament of the Lord's Supper is offered monthly, usually on the first Sunday of the month during Common Worship and on the third Sunday of the month during Early Worship. All Christians are welcome at the Lord's table, without regard to church membership. To ensure this sacrament is available to members unable to get to worship in person, the deacons offer Home Communion.
The Sacrament of Baptism is observed as needed/requested, typically on the third Sunday of the month.
Greeters welcome worshipers and signs are posted at main entrances to help newcomers find their way to worship, classes, etc. Our congregation is inclusive in ethnicity and lifestyle. We welcome all.
Large-print bulletins and hymnals and hearing-assist devices are available for all services held in the Sanctuary.
Sunday Schedule September through May:
8:00am in Loeffler Chapel
Early worshipers gather in Loeffler Chapel to sing, pray, hear scripture, and share reflections on what they have heard. Worship leadership rotates among our pastors. Volunteers provide piano accompaniment to the singing of hymns. Musical responses are typically chosen from Taize worship materials.
Worship in the Chapel
10:15am in Loeffler Chapel Twice each month
Thoughtful, engaging worship for churchgoers of all ages. Pastoral leadership varies. Volunteers provide offertory music. Participants are invited to usher, to read, to collect the offering, and to participate in other ways as they are comfortable. There are roles for children of all ages.
10:15am in the Sanctuary Every Sunday
The Chancel Choir provides music leadership in a variety of choral styles; texts are carefully chosen to fit the liturgy. Pastors alternate leading (including preaching) and assisting. Elders serve as liturgists. Children are invited forward for a few minutes of conversation led by one of the pastors. The Bell Choir and Children's and Youth Choirs periodically provide anthems. Sign language interpretation is provided when arranged by interested families.
Childcare for infants and toddlers is provided in the nursery throughout all services.
Child care for children age 3 to 5 is available in McCahan room #225 during the 10:15 services.
ADVENT & CHRISTMAS
7:00pm in Loeffler Chapel on the 4th Monday of Advent. A candlelight service of prayer and lamentation for those who find Advent and the Christmas holidays a time filled more with darkness than joy.
- Children's pageant of the nativity and carols at 4:00pm.
- Youth-led service of candlelight, lessons and carols at 8:00pm.
- Traditional candlelight service at 11:00pm preceded by special music.
To learn more about special Advent worship services, please visit our Advent Worship page.
LENT & EASTER
- Holy Week: weekday communion services are held in Loeffler Chapel; see LENT webpage for schedule.
- Maundy Thursday: A church supper -- so appropriate on the evening of the Last Supper -- is held in Fellowship Hall beginning at 6:30pm. This is followed by a Communion service (right in Fellowship Hall) at 7:30. Tenebrae (service of darkness) begins at 7:45pm in the sanctuary.
- Good Friday There is often a community Good Friday service held at Noon. Location varies among several local churches.
- Easter Sunday services: 7:00 am in the garden and 9:00 and 11:00am in the sanctuary.
To learn more about special Lenten opportunities, please visit our Lent Worship page.