727 Harvard Ave, Swarthmore, PA 19081
All women of the congregation are part of Presbyterian Women (PW); there is no need to officially join. PW activities at SPC reflect the current interests of PW's Coordinating Team, and we welcome new ideas and volunteers willing to help organize new activities. If you would like to be part of PW's Coordinating Team, please contact the church office.
One of the hallmarks of Presbyterian Women (PW) both at the national level and at SPC is our commitment to giving. Financial contributions made to SPC's chapter support a variety of international, national, and local charities, many of which address the needs of women and children. Past recipients include international and national organizations identified by our national PW leaders in Lexington, KY, Anne Wohlschlaeger's medical mission trip to Brazil, Barbara Pitman's domestic abuse prevention efforts through Shelter from the Storm, the SPC labyrinth, T.M.Thomas in Chester, Chester Eastside, John Gloucester House, and Presbyterian Children's Village. If you are moved to provide financial support through SPC's Presbyterian Women, please view our Designated Gifts page for instructions.
SPC's Presbyterian Women host many events throughout the year. The "regular lineup" includes:
- Bible Study: monthly meetings September through June
- There is an evening group that gathers once a month on Monday evenings (usually the 1st Monday of the month and a daytime group that gathers at 10:00 Thursday mornings once a month. Both groups follow the study guide published by Horizons. Newcomers are welcomed with open arms. Simply contact the church office to let us know you are interested and arrange for a copy of the study guide. Meeting dates and times are published on the Church Calendar.
- Each fall (usually early in November) PW hosts a weekend retreat. Usually held offsite (the popular choice in recent years has been Ocean Grove, NJ), it is a time of community building and fellowship along with some structured programming planned to nourish spiritual growth.
- This is typically a Saturday gathering held in church spaces. Themes are often taken from the Lenten lectionary. Leaders in recent years (often local female pastors) have guided discussion, prayer, and reflection accompanied by plenty of good food and hot tea and coffee.
- SPC is blessed with an outdoor labyrinth and one of our Coordinating Team members is a gifted instructor and guide. Harriet is available on an ad hoc basis to work with groups (minimum 6 people) interested in spending a few hours exploring this ancient spiritual discipline.
- Summer Book Group/Movie Screenings
- Open to all, these are informal gatherings that generally begin with a BYO dinner, with some discussion of the chosen book/movie, and then a free viewing on the big screen in the air-conditioned comfort of Fellowship Hall.
- Usually scheduled in February, Teddy Bear Hugs is an initiative to collect stuffed animals to be distributed bringing comfort to children who are in families affected by domestic abuse.
the national women's organization of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) whose purpose is stated above.
Forgiven and freed by God in Jesus Christ,
to nurture our faith through prayer and Bible study,
to support the mission of the church worldwide,
to work for justice and peace,
and to build an inclusive, caring community of women
that strengthens the Presbyterian Church (USA)
and witnesses to the promise of God's Kingdom.